Here and Now
Since 2007, Sustainable Living Ottawa East (SLOE) has been part of a low-key but important renaissance in Old Ottawa East. SLOE helps plan, develop, network and fundraise for projects that support our vision. Many projects have been initiated and/or supported by SLOE members, including: The Main Farmers Market, the Ottawa East Community Garden, the Lees Community Garden, the Children’s Garden at Legget Park, the Rideau River Nature Trail, the Midtown Footbridge, and the Neighbour-to-Neighbour electricity efficiency audit project. And behind the existing initiatives is a world of possibilities for increased local sustainability. This is good work. There is satisfaction and joy in it. Please join us in fueling the momentum.
Sustainable Living Ottawa East (SLOE) has a vision of Old Ottawa East as a leading green community—a community that is increasingly appealing as a place to live, work and study, and is resilient in the face of environmental, economic and social change. We work towards this vision through projects that help people in Old Ottawa East to take concrete, practical steps to live more sustainably (reduce environmental pressures). We’re especially keen on projects that also promote the health of the local economy and the well-being of residents. New ideas welcome!
More specifically, the projects we support in Old Ottawa East aim to:
- Expand the market share of sustainably-produced food (locally-grown, organic, fairly traded)
- Increase food-growing within the community
- Reduce consumption of non-renewable, GHG-emitting energy
- Increase transportation alternatives (e.g., pedestrian, cycling), including recreational options
- Minimize car use
- Enhance the ecological health of existing public, institutional and residential green space
- Promote and create green spaces that residents will enjoy
Old Ottawa East
Bounded by the Rideau River to the East, the canal to the West and the Queensway and Nicholas to the north, Old Ottawa East is a geographically distinct community in Ottawa.
SLOE is a committee of the Ottawa East Community Association.